Skip to content

Smells like rain, hits like thunder, storm is comin’, I got nothin’ left

May 1, 2011

This weekend was one I had been looking forward to/dreading for a long time. From the moment I realized my friend and cousin would be running the Oklahoma City Memorial half marathon and I wouldn’t, I have dreaded it. In the past few weeks, I had really begun to look forward to it, however. I was excited for the journey they were about to take, and to be honest, I was looking foward to a weekend away with friends.

Saturday was spent driving to OKC and walking around the Festival of the Arts with my roommate Joel, cousin Adam, his fiance’ Minnie, and her daughter Marinah. Joel and I also took time to go to the Race Expo. He needed to pick up his Half Marathon Packet and I needed to pick up my 5k packet. We made a joke from the beginning that the 5k runners weren’t being treated as equals because my information didn’t even come in an envelope…just the race bib and a handful of safety pins. Nevertheless, I enjoyed walking around the race expo. Number 1, I got some free stuff. Number 2, it’s nice to see the new racing stuff out there and see what I want/need. After leaving the arts festival, we checked in at our hotel and rested for awhile before dinner. We went to Pearl’s Fish House where I got Jambalaya, fried pickles, and ate the best hush puppies I’ve ever eaten. I usually don’t eat this much the night before a race, but I decided to just go for it. 🙂 After eating there was more hanging out in the hotel before crashing early for the night once my cousin Zach got there

Now here’s the good stuff…race day. We got up at 4:50 so we could leave the hotel by 5:15 and navigate parking. Zach and I drove separate because we couldn’t all fit in one car. While the other carload found a close parking spot, we ended up parking quite a ways from the starting line. As we were parking, it started raining. Not light rain…heavy, steady rain. Zach and I began our trek to the starting line. About halfway there, we met runners heading back in our direction saying the race had been delayed 30 minutes because of lightning. Lovely. We opted to keep walking that way to try to find the rest of our group. To put a long story short, we weren’t able to find our group. This means that instead of handing over my hoodie and cell phone as planned, I got to run with them. Not a big deal. Just an annoyance on a morning that was already wearing on my nerves. While the half-marathoners and marathoners lined up to race, the 5k runners were corraled on a street to the side (see…we were the red-headed step-children). This was a miserable 30 minutes. People kept pushing through the crowd, it was pouring rain, I had a steady stream of water from someone’s umbrella dripping on me. Yuck. At about 7:20, the 5k runners were able to line up (once the half-marathoners and marathoners started). Once I started running, all of my annoyed feelings and disgust for the day went away. That’s what running does for me. It was not an enjoyable run…it was wet and crowded and cold….but I am glad I did it. Because the 5k was untimed (grumble grumble), I don’t know what my official time was. I’m guessing it was around 3o minutes. It was nice to see Adam, Minnie, and Marinah cheering me on at the finish line.

After warming up in the car for a few minutes, Adam and I headed back to the finish line to look for Zach and Joel. We stood there about an hour in the freezing rain, but I was so happy to be able to see Joel cross the finish line. Somehow, we missed Zach. All of that standing awkwardly meant that my ITB was really bothering me, though. So much so that I had to force my leg off of the ground to start walking. A little scary, but once I started walking, it felt a little better. I foam rollered it and stretched it tonight and I’m going to take a day off tomorrow to let it rest.  

After heading back to the hotel to shower, waiting on Zach for forever because he had problems finding his truck, and checking out of the hotel, we headed to Shorty Smalls for some lunch. It was really good. A good end to the weekend.

When I got home, I got online and registered for the Route 66 Half Marathon. Hopefully my body will cooperate with me and let me train right and run it. I want to feel that accomplishment of crossing the line after running that distance. I want to put a 13.1 sticker on my car. I don’t want to be at the finish line cheering people on and wishing I could have run the race.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. danielle permalink
    May 2, 2011 1:00 am

    I am so proud of you! I have complete faith that you will be able to do the next half marathon. Make a list of the stuff you want/need so maybe we can get you something off the list for your birthday.


  1. Running for a Cause «

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: